The 4th International Scientific Conference On Asian Economics And Business – ACBES 2022
7 October, 2022
The 4th Asia Conference on Business and Economic Studies – ACBES 2022 at the University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH) took place successfully during 3 days, from August 29, 2022 to August 31, 2022. Through the Hybrid format, the Conference attracted 282 attendees, including honored guests, speakers, authors, researchers, lecturers, Ph.D. students, and students with offline and online participants from more than 30 countries around the world. The ACBES 2022 Conference has connected and invited the Top 5 keynote speakers worldwide with academic and practical research topics following the global trend, especially post- COVID-19 topics.
The fact that Vietnam has been implementing open-door policies to welcome international visitors is an opportunity for foreign researchers, lecturers, and students interested in the conference to fly to Vietnam to attend directly. However, many countries are implementing distance policies to limit the COVID-19 epidemic. Therefore, this year ACBES 2022 Conference is organized in the form of a Hybrid with the purpose of creating conditions for domestic and foreign researchers, lecturers and students to flexibly choose the participation form and to enhance more favorable opportunities for exchange and academic exchanges.
ACBES 2022 is an annual conference chaired by the Journal of Asian Business and Economic Research (JABES) – University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH); with the participation of partners including Business School, Western Sydney University, Australia and the Institute for Environment for Development (EfD), University of Gothenburg, Sweden. This Conference was funded by UEH, the Institute for International Training (ISB), the Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF) in Vietnam, and Lincoln University (New Zealand).
The Conference was honored to receive the patronage of 5 prestigious international Journals: Journal of Asian Business and Economic Studies (SCOPUS, ESCI, ACI), Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (ABDC: A*, ABS: 3, SCOPUS) Q1, SSCI), International Journal of Social Economics (ABDC: B, ABS: 1, SCOPUS: Q2, ESCI), Journal of Economic Asymmetries (ABDC: B, SCOPUS: Q2), Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies (ABDC: C, SCOPUS: Q2, ESCI); and 1 Book Series published by World Scientific – one prestigious international publishing house.
What is more distinctive, the Conference invited 05 Keynote Speakers as leading prestigious scientists in the world: Prof. Carol Alexander (Professor of Finance, University of Sussex, UK, Co-editor of the Journal of Banking and Finance), Prof. Guido Friebel (Dean of Department of Human Resources at Goethe University, Germany; Co-editor of Economics Transition and Institutional Change), Prof. Andreas Stoffers (Country Director of Friedrich Naumann Foundation Institute (FNF) in Vietnam), Prof. Vu Minh Khuong (Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, Singapore), and Prof. Gabriel S. Lee (University of Regensburg, Germany).
Speaking at the opening ceremony at ACBES 2022, Prof. Su Dinh Thanh – UEH President – gave a speech to welcome important guests and an impressive number of researchers from all over the world to attend. Prof. Su Dinh Thanh introduced the message: “Along with the internationalization goal, UEH gives high priority to academic research and international cooperation. JABES of UEH is the first Vietnamese Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Business and Management officially recognized in the SCOPUS. This is a big step forward, enhancing Vietnamese scientific knowledge recognition in international academic forums. Compared to the previous three seminars, the ACBES 2022 Conference is attracting more and more researchers, lecturers, students and celebrities, with the diversity of high-quality articles associated with modern new topics.”
Professor Su Dinh Thanh – President of UEH – delivering the opening speech of the ACBES Conference 2022
On behalf of the Organizing Committee, ACBES 2022 Conference, Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai greeted the speakers and attendees, especially the authors who submitted articles to the workshop. GS. Nguyen Trong Hoai added: “The 4th ACBES International Science Conference, organized by JABES of UEH, is an annual and important event with the goal of enhancing internationalization and recognition in terms of academic forums of JABES in particular and UEH in general. JABES has been indexed in ESCI, SCOPUS and is striving in the future to be listed in other major international categories listed as: ABDC, ERIM and ABS”. Once again, Professor Nguyen Trong Hoai on behalf of the Organizing Committee of ACBES 2022 sends his sincere thanks to the partners and sponsors for the Conference.
Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai – Head of the ACBES Conference, Organizing Committee – giving the opening speech
At the Conference, representatives of partners and sponsors attended, gave welcome speeches, and shared some helpful information related to ACBES 2022.
Prof. Andreas Stoffers – Country Director of Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF) in Vietnam – speaking at the Conference
Prof. Douglas Foster – Vice President of ISB Institute – speaking at the Conference
Prof. Su Dinh Thanh and Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai giving souvenirs to 04 Keynote Speakers
In the series of ACBES 2022 Seminars, 05 Keynote Speakers present topics related to the current new economic issues, each discussion session has the participation of prestigious scholars with a Moderator role. Specific details are as follows:
(1) Prof. Guido Friebel (Dean of Faculty of Human Resources at Goethe University, Germany; Co-Editor-in-Chief of Economics Transition and Institutional Change) presented the topic “Experiments with and within Firms” on how to increase employee productivity pellets. Research by Prof. Guido Friebel points out that in addition to ‘hard’ tools, or other words, traditional methods listed as: Incentivize, measure performance, or control, company leaders need to improve employee satisfaction with “soft” tools. Professor discussed the solutions that need to be taken to build a sustainable relationship among the management, stakeholders, and researchers to create win-win projects in accordance with Win-Win-Win criteria.
Prof. Guido Friebel presenting “Experiments with and within Firms” Topic at ACBES 2022 Conference
(2) Prof. Andreas Stoffers (Country Director of Friedrich Naumann Foundation Institute (FNF) in Vietnam) presented the topic “The Austrian School of Economics – A Model for Vietnam?”. Professor refers to Economic Theory dominated by econometrics, in which scientific methods from STEM are preferred. Vietnam is currently pursuing a model of “Socialist-oriented market economy”, characterized by high government spending rates, attractive tax rates, pioneering free trade policies, and sound political fiscal and monetary policy. This is the right context to consider the basic principles of economic progress in accordance with the Austrian School of Economics.
Prof. Andreas Stoffers presenting the topic “The Austrian School of Economics – A Model for Vietnam?” at ACBES Conference 2022
(3) Prof. Vu Minh Khuong (Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, Singapore) presented the topic “Effects of Structural Change, Digital Transformation, and Innovation on Productivity Growth”. The research paper of Prof. Vu Minh Khuong, with a focus on industrialized economies, examines the impact of structural change, digital transformation, and innovation on productivity growth. The recently released KLEMS dataset for the EU, US, and Japan was used in his study. The results found strong evidence that structural change, digital transformation, and innovation positively impact labor growth and overall productivity gains. In addition, digital transformation and innovation have a positive impact on structural change, suggesting that these factors drive productivity growth not only directly but also indirectly by driving structural change.
Prof. Vu Minh Khuong presenting the topic “Effects of Structural Change, Digital Transformation, and Innovation on Productivity Growth” at ACBES 2022 Conference
(4) Prof. Carol Alexander (Professor of Finance, University of Sussex, UK Co-editor of the Journal of Banking and Finance) shared the topic “The Power and Pitfalls of Crypto Research” in the online format. In the discussion, Prof. Carol Alexander discusses the great power and influence of the cryptocurrency market. Besides, Professor discussed the pitfalls that cryptocurrencies bring. This interesting paper uses microstructure and Ce-Fi and De-Fi models to replace the old Trad-Fi model.
Prof. Carol Alexander presenting the topic “The Power and Pitfalls of Crypto Research” at ACBES 2022 Conference under online format
(5) Prof. Gabriel S. Lee (University of Regensburg, Germany) presented the topic “Some Hints on Writing a Research Paper for Publication and Presentation Slides” and directly chaired the Special Session for Ph.D. students and junior researchers (Special Doctoral Session) on the morning of August 29, 2022. This is a special activity ahead of the 4th International Scientific Conference on Asian Economics and Business (ACBES 2022), which attracted up to 110 offline and online attendees.
Prof. Gabriel S. Lee presenting the topic “Some Hints on Writing a Research Paper for Publication and Presentation Slides” at the Special Doctoral Session of ACBES 2022
Out of a total of 225 articles from more than 30 countries around the world submitted to the Conference, the Organizing Committee, through the peer-review process, has selected 128 qualified articles (acceptance rate of 56.9%; foreign authorship rate of 60%) to present at the Workshop under 31 groups of topics. The conference attracted 282 guests, including honored guests, speakers, authors, researchers, lecturers, Ph.D. students, students attending directly (offline) and online from more than 30 countries around the world (listed as: USA, UK, Australia, Germany, China, Korea, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore…).
The official session of ACBES 2022, in two days (August 30to August 31, 2022), held 31 discussion sessions corresponding to 31 diverse topics related to economy-business majors and divided into parallel discussion sessions. In order to facilitate parallel discussions on diverse topics, the ACBES 2022 Organizing Committee was honored to receive the support of 31 Academic Chairs (Chair Sessions) from University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH) and others from Malaysia, France, China, Pakistan, Japan and the UK along with 13 Coordinators of UEH supporting online and offline combination. The parallel discussion sessions of ACBES 2022 were lively and exciting, with lots of interesting ideas exchanged and more highly academic discussions. Further details are as follows:
• On the morning of August 30, 2022, 10 sessions were held: Sustainable Finance, Labor Economics, Financial Markets, Accounting and Finance, Empirical Finance, Economic and Business Law, COVID-19 and Business Context, Consumer Behavior, Digital Business, Business and Management (I).
Morning sessions on August 30, 2022 of ACBES 2022 Conference
• On the afternoon of August 30, 2022, the discussion sessions revolved around the following topics: Business Literature Review, Human Capital Accumulation over Lifecycle, Behavioral and Cultural Finance, Economic Development, Conflicts, Wars, and Sanctions (I), Health Economics, Organizational Behavior, Well-being and Psychology, Business and Management (II), Digital and Circular Economy, Political Tensions, Geopolitical Risks, and Financial Markets.
Discussion sessions on the afternoon of August 30, 2022 of the ACBES Conference 2022
• On the morning of August 31, 2022, the last session of the Conference took place parallel discussion sessions on Conflicts, Wars, and Sanctions (II), Environmental Economics, Corporate Finance, Fintech and Digital Finance, Banking Studies, Production Economics, Innovation, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, COVID-19 Economics, Applied Macroeconomic Analysis.
Morning sessions on August 31, 2022 of the ACBES Conference 2022
In addition, at the Conference, Dr. Huynh Luu Duc Toan online coordinated and exchanged and answered interesting questions related to publishing opportunities in prestigious international journals in the “Meeting Editors for Special Issue / Regular Issue” session.
Dr. Huynh Luu Duc Toan coordinating the “Meeting Editors for Special Issue / Regular Issue” session at the ACBES Conference 2022
At the closing session of ACBES 2022, the Organizing Committee awarded awards to authors with excellent research papers on new topics as follows:
Dr. Cuong Nguyen – Representative of Lincoln University (New Zealand) – announced and awarded 2 awards:
1. The Fintech Best Paper Award was presented to the author group of Nabila Silmina Hakim (Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Indonesia) and Wei-Shiun Chang (National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan) for the research paper “The Impact of Big Data and Predictive”. Analytics on Enhancing Sustainable Supply Chain Performance in the Organization”;
2. The Green Finance Best Paper Award was presented to the author group of Seungho Choi (Queensland University of Technology, Australia), Raphael Jonghyeon Park (University of New South Wales, Australia) and Simon Xu (University of California, Berkeley, United States) with the research paper “Every Emission You Create – Every Dollar You’ll Donate: The Effect of Regulation – Induced Pollution on Corporate Philanthropy”.
Dr. Cường Nguyễn – Representative from Lincoln University (New Zealand) – announcing the Prizes
Dr. Huynh Luu Duc Toan announced and invited Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai and Prof. Gabriel S. Lee to jointly present the Best Paper Award from the University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH) to excellent authors.
This Best Paper Award is jointly awarded to two research papers including: “Confucianism and Economic Development: Evidence from Vietnam” by author Hoang-Anh Ho (Ho Chi Minh City University of Economics, Vietnam), and the research paper “Investment under Anticorruption: Evidence from the High-Profile Anticorruption Campaign in Vietnam” by Huy Viet Hoang (National Economics University, Vietnam), Khanh Hoang (University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City), Viet Hoang (National Economics University, Vietnam) and Cuong Nguyen (Lincoln University, New Zealand).
Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai and Prof. Gabriel S. Lee jointly presenting excellent research awards to representatives of two author groups, Dr. Ho Hoang Anh and Dr. Hoang Khanh
In particular, this year’s ACBES Conference collected opinions from all conference attendees to award the most favorite research paper award.
The results belong to the author group of Nhan Huynh (Macquarie University, Australia) and Quang Thien Tran (Van Lang University, Vietnam) with the research paper “Non-native Players in the Domestic League: Foreign Penetration and Domestic Banking Sector in an Emerging Market” as the most favorite at the ACBES Conference 2022 with a vote rate of 30.6% (66/216 votes).
Prof. Gabriel S. Lee awarding the most favorite research paper Award to author Nhan Huynh
Speaking at the end of the ACBES 2022 Conference, Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai summarized some impressive statistics regarding this year’s Conference and officially announced information related to the ACBES International Scientific Conference 2023 with the participation of 02 famous Keynote Speakers, Prof. Han Woo Park (YeungNam University, Republic of Korea; Editor-In-Chief Journal of Contemporary Eastern Asia; Editor-in-Chief of Quality & Quantity) and Prof. John W. Goodell (Editor-in-Chief of Research in International Business and Finance).
Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai summarizing and announcing Keynote Speaker of ACBES Conference 2023
Last but not least, Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai sent his most sincere and deepest thanks to all the researchers that enthusiastically attended and created ACBES 2022 a great success as well as looked forward to seeing all again at ACBES 2023 with more new ideas.
Additional photos at the Conference:
Prof. Su Dinh Thanh – President of UEH, Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai – Editor-in-Chief of JABES and Dr. Huynh Luu Duc Toan – Deputy Editor-in-Chief of JABES welcoming guests of honor before the opening session of the Conference
The overview of the opening session of the ACBES Conference 2022
Dr. Pham Khanh Nam coordinating at the discussion session of Prof. Guido Friebel
Dr. Ho Hoang Anh moderating the discussion session of Prof. Andreas Stoffers
Prof. Nguyen Trong Hoai coordinating at the discussion session of Prof. Vu Minh Khuong
Researchers listening and asking questions to the ACBES 2022 Keynote Speakers
The overview of the closing session of ACBES Conference 2022
All JABES new information and outstanding events listed as ACBES International Scientific Conference, JST Talk series and other events will be continuously updated on JABES official channels as follows:
JABES Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jabes.ueh.edu.vn
JABES Website: http://www.jabes.ueh.edu.vn/
JABES on Emerald Group Publishing: https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/journal/jabes
ACBES Website: https://acbes.ueh.edu.vn/
JABES Youtube: http://shorturl.at/jnoOR
News, photos: JABES